Other ArcGIS identity authentication methods
These methods are only applicable for obtaining an ArcGIS identity user profile stored in ArcGIS Enterprise.
There are two additional methods to use to get an ArcGIS identity for users with ArcGIS Enterprise. Both methods require some additional ArcGIS Enterprise configuration and that you use ArcGIS APIs for your client-side integration.
- HTTP / Integrated Windows Authentication (IWA): Users authenticate with their Windows login to obtain an ArcGIS Identity, which is automatically managed by the client API.
- Public key infrastructure (PKI): Users authenticate with a preconfigured certificate to obtain an ArcGIS Identity, which is automatically managed by the client API.
|HTTP / Integrated Windows Authentication (IWA)||Public key infrastructure (PKI)|
|ArcGIS Runtime API for Android|
|ArcGIS Runtime API for iOS|
|ArcGIS Runtime API for Java|
|ArcGIS Runtime API for .NET|
|ArcGIS Runtime API for Qt|
|ArcGIS API for Python|
|MapBox GL JS|
|ArcGIS REST JS|
Also known as HTTP basic, HTTP digest, or Integrated Windows Authentication (IWA); resources are protected by a username + password set on the service and prompted by browser pop-up or session cookie. This method manages user login through Microsoft Windows Active Directory and the user typically manually enters their username + password.
To use Integrated Window Authentication, you will need to configure it in ArcGIS Enterprise.
- ArcGIS Runtime API for Android
- ArcGIS Runtime API for iOS
- ArcGIS Runtime API for Java
- ArcGIS Runtime API for .NET
- ArcGIS Runtime API for Qt
- ArcGIS API for Python
Public key infrastructure (PKI) uses a mathematical cryptography technique to generate a pair of public / private digital keys representing a user, application, or organization. Users authenticate themselves by presenting their digital keys (an automated process handled by the app or web service) and are never issued a username or password. This encrypted value is the only required security measure. Public and private digital keys support authentication and secure communication over insecure networks.