In this topic
Support for different locales
The ArcGIS API for Flex has built-in support for the 23 languages listed below. Localization support was added for six languages in version 2.0, four more languages in version 2.4, six languages in version 3.0, an additional six in 3.2, and Finnish added at 3.5. To use one of them, compile your Flex application with the appropriate locale.
- Arabic (ar)—Added in version 2.4
- Brazilian Portuguese (pt_BR)—Added in version 2.4
- Danish (da_DK)—Added in version 3.2
- Chinese (zh_CN)
- Dutch (nl_NL)—Added in version 3.0
- English (en_US)
- Estonian (et_EE)—Added in version 3.2
- Finnish (fi_FI)—Added in version 3.5
- French (fr_FR)
- German (de_DE)
- Hebrew (he_IL)—Added in version 3.2
- Italian (it_IT)—Added in version 2.4
- Japanese (ja_JP)
- Korean (ko_KR)—Added in version 3.0
- Latvian (lv_LV)—Added in version 3.2
- Lithuanian (lt_LT)—Added in version 3.2
- Norwegian (nb_NO)—Added in version 3.0
- Portuguese (pt_PT)—Added in version 3.2
- Polish (pl_PL)—Added in version 3.0
- Romanian (ro_RO)—Added in version 3.0
- Russian (ru_RU)—Added in version 2.4
- Spanish (es_ES)
- Swedish (sv_SE)—Added in version 3.0
Compile with the specific locale
To compile with the specific locale or locales, take the following steps in Flash Builder:
- Go to Project > Properties > Flex Compiler.
- Set the Additional compiler arguments to your language, for example,
es_ESfor Spanish. In Flash Builder, compile with the specific locale(s):
- To compile in multiple languages, list them comma-separated:
Locales not supported by Adobe or Apache Flex SDKs
Adobe 4.6.0 supports 16 locales out of the box (see your Flash Builder install, for example,
C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Adobe Flash Builder 4.6\sdks\4.6.0\frameworks\locale), while Apache Flex
4.10.0 supports 23 different locales. This still leaves seven locales supported by Esri that are not supported by the underlying Flex SDKs. If you you want to add support for a locale not supported by your SDK, please follow the steps below.
- Create the supporting Adobe or Apache Flex SDK files
- Go to the command prompt on
Run> then type
- Type the path to your Flash Builder SDK directory, (for example,
cd "C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Adobe Flash Builder 4.6\sdks\4.6.0\bin") and press Return.
copylocale en_us ar. This will create an ar folder with a supporting frameworks file (most likely in
C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Adobe Flash Builder 4.6\sdks\4.6.0\frameworks\locale).
If the above step doesn’t create a folder, you can run the above command with admin privileges.
- In Flash Builder, right-click
Propertiesand set Additional Compiler arguments to
- Go to the command prompt on
- Translate the supporting Adobe SDK files (optional)
- Depending on which Flex components you're using, you can translate all or some of those in the supporting Adobe SDK files. This step is optional.
For languages other than those listed above, translate the English resource file, i.e. ESRIMessages.properties, to the desired language. Then compile your Flex application with the appropriate locale as described in the following steps:
- Copy the resource file into your Flash Builder project.
- Translate the strings in the resource file.
- Go to Project > Flex Compiler.
- Set the
Additional compiler arguments:
ESRIMessages.properties file is located in the
/locale/en_US directory that is part of the API download.