Deploy an app
In this topic
Windows desktop apps built with
ArcGIS Runtime SDK for .NET are self-contained, meaning they can run directly from a location on disk, and do not need information in the Windows registry. Deploying them, therefore, can be as easy as copying and pasting a folder that contains your executable, an ArcGIS Runtime deployment, and any dependent files to the target machine or device. Likewise, uninstalling can be as easy as deleting those files from the user's machine. As part of the deployment process, you need to make sure your app is licensed adequately and that you include all required ArcGIS Runtime components.
The following broad steps are required to prepare your app for deployment:
- License your app.
- Add attribution.
- Create a deployment of ArcGIS Runtime (for the platforms you want to support).
- Create and test a deployment package
Deployment steps differ for each platform in the
ArcGIS Runtime SDK for .NET (Windows Desktop, Windows Store, and Windows Phone). Please consult the deployment information for each platform you want to deploy.
License your app
Before creating a deployment, you must ensure that your app includes logic to apply the proper licensing for the functionality it provides. Consult the License your app topic for licensing requirements and instructions.
There is no need to license your app when deploying to devices for testing. You can deploy your app for testing using a developer license.
You are required to attribute Esri in your Windows Desktop app according to the following guidelines.
- ArcGIS Runtime SDK for .NET—About and Credit screens must include the following text:
Mapping API provided by Esri ArcGIS Runtime SDK for .NET.
- Map data—All map data used in an application must be attributed in the About and Credit screens using the Copyright Text section of the REST endpoint or endpoints being used. For example, ESRI_Imagery_World_2D service must use
Copyright:© 2009 ESRI, i-cubed, GeoEye.
- Esri logo—If your application uses data served by Esri through ArcGIS Online, display a logo on the map pursuant to the logo guidelines below. Examples of such data can be found on the ArcGIS Online maps page.
When using Bing Maps in your application, it's important to include the proper attribution information. See the Branding Guidelines from Microsoft for more information.
Esri logo guidelines
The following guidelines must be followed when applying logo attribution.
- Minimum size of the logo is 43 x 25 pixels.
- Place the logo directly on the map with no background.
- Logo should be located on the bottom left corner of the map.
- Do not apply transparency to the logo.
- Do not overlap with another logo or visual component (excluding elements of the map).
Create and test a deployment package
The following steps describe the process of creating and testing a deployment package (folder) for your ArcGIS Runtime Windows desktop app.
- Follow the instructions in the Create an ArcGIS Runtime deployment topic to generate an ArcGIS Runtime deployment package that is customized for the requirements of your app.
- Create the deployment for your app. For a Windows desktop app, this is a folder that contains: The ArcGIS Runtime deployment created in the previous step (
arcgisruntime<version>folder), your app executable (
*.exe), and any other required files (images, media files, and so on that are used by the app).
The following image illustrates the structure of a typical app deployment.
- Double-click your executable in the deployment folder to verify that it starts and works as expected. Also, test by moving the deployment folder to a machine that does not have Visual Studio or the ArcGIS Runtime SDK for .NET installed.
- Test the deployment for all platforms to which you will deploy.
Consult the System requirements topic for the supported target machine requirements.