Start here to set up your development environment with ArcGIS Runtime SDK for .NET. This SDK contains APIs for developing apps for Windows Presentation Foundation (WPF), Universal Windows Platform (UWP), Xamarin.Android, Xamarin.iOS, and Xamarin Forms. You can have multiple versions of the SDK installed on the same machine. You can also have multiple ArcGIS Runtime SDKs installed side-by-side. There are two options for working with the SDK in .NET:
- Downloading and installing a Visual Studio Extension (Visual Studio for Windows only)
- Referencing NuGet packages, either from nuget.org or an alternate location. Installing the Visual Studio extension also installs the NuGet packages locally
No license is required to develop ArcGIS Runtime apps; there's no need to authorize your development machine or devices. As a member of the ArcGIS Developer Program, you have a free ArcGIS Developer Subscription (Essentials Plan). With this plan you can download and install any ArcGIS Runtime SDK and immediately have access to all the functionality of the APIs for development purposes. You can become a member of the developer program for free.
Download the Visual Studio Extension
ArcGIS Runtime SDK for .NET provides a Visual Studio Extension (.vsix file) with project templates and NuGet packages for supported platforms. Installing the extension will add the Visual Studio templates and configure a local NuGet package source. If you want to add the ArcGIS Runtime NuGet packages from an online source (NuGet.org), there is no need to download and install them locally. The Visual Studio templates, however, are only available by installing the extension (the extension is not available on Visual Studio for Mac).
- Make sure your development computer meets the system requirements.
- Download the Visual Studio Extension from the Downloads page. You will need to log in with an ArcGIS developer account. Sign up for a free account if you don't already have one.
- Save the file to a location accessible from your development machine.
Install ArcGIS Runtime SDK for .NET Visual Studio Extension
The extension installs NuGet packages and Visual Studio templates for all supported platforms. Depending on the configuration of your development machine, you may not be able to develop for all of these platforms (a Mac computer is required for developing iOS apps, for example). For details, see the system requirements topic.
- Double-click the file (downloaded previously) to extract the setup files from the archive and start the install.
- Chose the products you want to install the extension to (Visual Studio 2017 or 2015, for example). You will only see supported versions of Visual Studio as options. Click Install to accept the license terms.
The install will start for all products you selected.
- When complete, you will see an installation confirmation for the selected products. Click Close and make sure to close and restart any open instances of Visual Studio.
- To use a project template from the extension, start Visual Studio and choose to create a new project. For the supported project types, you will see an ArcGIS Runtime SDK template.
- To add a local NuGet package, open the NuGet Package Manager (Project > Manage NuGet Packages, for example). Choose the Browse tab in the manager and the local Esri package source (configured by the Visual Studio Extension installer). Select the appropriate package for your project and click Install to add the package to your project.
Referencing online ArcGIS Runtime SDK NuGet packages
ArcGIS Runtime SDK NuGet packages are hosted on NuGet.org. If you have an internet connection, you can access these packages and add them to your Visual Studio project without having to install anything locally.
If you need locally available NuGet packages but cannot install the Visual Studio Extension (perhaps you're developing while offline or using Visual Studio for Mac, for example), you can download the packages you need from NuGet.org.
- Open the NuGet Package Manager (Project > Manage NuGet Packages, for example).
- Choose the Browse tab in the manager and the nuget.org package source. Use the Search text box to locate the ArcGIS Runtime packages.
- Type ArcGIS Runtime in the Search text box. You will see several matches (for various versions and platforms).
- Select a version 100.3.0 package for your platform. Click Install to add the package to your project.
- Choose OK to proceed with the installation and then I Accept to accept the license agreement.
After adding the package, you'll be able to work with the components in ArcGIS Runtime SDK for .NET.
What you get
ArcGIS Runtime SDK for .NET contains everything you need to develop ArcGIS Runtime apps.
- APIs: .NET assemblies and controls.
- Visual Studio project templates to give you a head start on your app development.
- Online documentation: SDK Guide and API Reference doc for all supported platforms.
- Code samples: Visual Studio sample projects available on GitHub. See the code samples page for more information.
You are ready to begin developing ArcGIS applications using ArcGIS Runtime SDK for .NET. Here are a few ways you can get started:
- Work through the Develop your first map app tutorial.
- Explore code samples.
- Explore SDK concepts and features.
- If you want to use StreetMap Premium data (the StreetMap Premium extension), download the regions you want from the downloads page.
- If you want to work with Electronic Navigational Charts (ENC), add the Esri.ArcGISRuntime.Hydrography NuGet package to your app.