The Bookmark widget stores a collection of spatial bookmarks for a selected map. Specify 2D or 3D geographic locations with different extents, view angles (for 3D), layer visibility, and drawing marks. Each bookmark can display additional information such as a title, image, and description. You can also include the map’s existing bookmarks, when applicable. Optionally allow end users to add bookmarks at runtime too, so they can return to locations of interest.
Use this widget to support app design requirements such as the following:
- You want to draw attention to particular areas in a map.
- You want to present specific places in a map to support the narrative.
- You want end users to specify and return to a study area in a map.
This widget requires a connection to a Map widget with a configured data source. The Map widget can be in a different page than the bookmark. When you add a Bookmark widget, first choose a template design for the bookmark content, and click Next. Click Add bookmark to open a map view window with the content of the connected Map widget. You can keep the map view open while specifying locations and editing multiple bookmarks.
The Simple templates have fixed content for quicker configuration. The Advanced templates allow you to customize the bookmark content by changing and adding widgets for a unique design with more detailed information. For advanced templates, you must configure each widget in the bookmark layout to set up bookmark content.
When you select the advanced templates, you can modify the nested widgets and layout or add more widgets from the Insert panel. The advanced template supports all widgets. Each bookmark can have a different content design. Each added bookmark copies the content layout from the previous, but you can modify it.
Depending on the template you select, you can configure a variety of settings. The following table compares the differences between the available templates, which include Card, List, Gallery, three Slide templates, and two Advanced templates.
Enable adding bookmark at runtime
Display bookmarks from the map
Configure paging style
Enable automatically navigating to the map's first bookmark
Customize content area
The Bookmark widget includes the following settings:
Select a template—Choose from predefined bookmark designs. To customize the content within the bookmarks, choose an advanced template so you can change or add nested widgets.
Select a Map widget—Select a Map widget that is connected to data.
Add bookmark—Create one or more bookmarks.
- Set bookmark view—Zoom in to or search for a location using the map in the window that opens when you add a bookmark. You can define the extent and layer visibility and add drawing marks. For 3D, define the view angle. You can resize and move the window, if needed. To reopen this window, click the Change the bookmark view button for each bookmark.
- Bookmark title—Type a name for the bookmark. This name also appears in the widget, except for advanced templates. Click the Delete button to remove a bookmark.
- Image source (for templates except List and advanced)—By default, when you save a bookmark, a snapshot is created to illustrate the defined map extent. You can also click Custom to provide your own image for the bookmark. For Image Position, choose Fill or Fit to adjust the layout.
- Description (for slide templates)—Provide a detailed description for the bookmark.
Bookmark drawing display—Choose whether to display all bookmark drawings in the connected map widget or only display the drawing for the selected bookmark.
Direction (gallery template)—Display the bookmarks in a horizontal or vertical gallery.
Allow to add bookmark in widget—Control whether or not end users can add their own bookmarks.
Display bookmarks from web map—Include bookmarks from the map. You can review the existing bookmarks when you check the box.
Arrangement (for slide templates, including advanced)—Define the Paging style for how to display and interact with the bookmark slides in the widget.
Paging—Display one bookmark slide at a time.
- Active on loading—Automatically display the first bookmark in the connected map when the Bookmark widget appears in the page view. When turned off, end users must manually click the Bookmark widget for the connected map to navigate to the corresponding bookmark.
- Auto play—Automatically navigate between bookmarks after a predetermined interval time that you specify in seconds. You can also turn off looping so the widget doesn't continually navigate between bookmarks.
- Transition—Animate the bookmark slides as users navigate through them. Click the Preview button to see the selected transition in action.
Scroll—Display multiple bookmark slides, filling the widget container. More bookmark slides load as users scroll through them.
- Direction—Display and scroll the bookmarks horizontally or vertically.
- Item width or height—Specify the size of bookmark slides in pixels. For horizontal scrolling, define the slide’s width by typing a precise pixel number. The slide’s height is controlled by the widget’s height. For vertical scrolling, define the slide’s height by typing a precise pixel number. The slide’s width is controlled by the widget’s width.
- Horizontal or Vertical spacing—Define the spacing between bookmark slides in pixels (or use the slider).