The Survey widget integrates with ArcGIS Survey123 and allows you to create a survey or use an existing survey in the widget. Use the Survey widget to collect feedback or general data from end users. When you include a survey in your app, you can collect data from users by asking questions. Depending on the question type, the answer to each question is stored as an attribute, geometry, or attachment for a feature in the underlying feature layer.
Use this widget to support app design requirements such as the following:
- You want to collect general user feedback for a project.
- You want to collect feedback from the community about a city park and store the survey results in a table related to the parks feature layer.
- You want to collect ratings and suggestions from the public for hiking trails around the city.
When you add a Survey widget to the page, you can create a survey using the integrated survey designer or by connecting to one of your existing surveys. Once you publish a new survey or select an existing survey, additional widget configuration settings allow you to change its appearance and send data from the app to the survey. For example, you can send data from a map in your app to the survey by connecting feature attributes or geometry in the feature layer to questions in the survey. All data collected by the survey in your app is stored in the survey’s underlying feature layer.
The survey content adjusts to fit the width of the widget, which you can resize on the canvas. You can configure the widget to ignore a survey’s theme if it doesn’t fit your app design.
The Survey widget includes the following settings:
Select the survey
- Create new survey—Create a survey in your account to populate the widget in your app. Provide a name, tags, and a summary and click Create. A new survey is created in your content and a survey designer window opens. For help designing the survey, see Create your first survey in the Survey123 help.
- Select existing survey—If you’ve already designed a survey in Survey123, select it from the list. To make changes to the survey, click Edit survey to open the survey designer. If the survey for this widget was created with Survey123 Connect, you cannot edit content for survey questions in the designer.
- Appearance—Show additional layout elements from the survey to fit the context of your app. For example, you can include the survey header, description, and footer or turn on its theme to use the colors and background images from the survey. (By default, the widget displays the survey content without its theme so it doesn’t conflict with the theme of your app.)
- Send data to this survey—Add connections between questions in the survey and fields in a map layer. Instead of end users manually inputting an answer, a survey question can be completed using the geometry or an attribute of a feature in a map widget (such as the selected feature in a map). For example, when a user selects a park on the map, send the object ID of the selected park to a hidden Park ID question in the survey, so you can associate the user's comment with the specific feature in the park layer. Add multiple connections if you want to pass multiple attributes to the survey.