The Sidebar widget is a layout container that provides two adjacent panels, allowing you to control the layout and allocation of nested widgets. This widget allows users to view collections of information simultaneously.
Use this widget to support app design requirements such as the following:
- You want users to be able to hide and show a filter or list of features while continuing to display the adjacent map.
- You want to allocate widgets in adjacent panels and resize the panels to show content in a larger or smaller space.
You can configure the Sidebar widget to align panels horizontally or vertically. For example, users can compare the content of different layers or datasets in adjacent panels. You can allow end users to resize and collapse the docked panel. If you exclude the button for collapsing the panel, make sure that the panel is expanded by default.
In the Page panel’s Outline view, this widget has two default child containers to organize the nested widgets in the layout. First corresponds to the left or top panel and Second corresponds to the right or bottom panel, depending on the dock side you configure.
If the nested widgets fill both panels, you can open the configuration settings for the Sidebar widget by selecting it in the Outline pane or clicking the Settings button on the widget's options toolbar. To move the Sidebar widget with its nested widgets, click the Move button on its toolbar while dragging the group to a new position on the canvas.
The Sidebar widget includes the following settings:
Side panel—The side panel can be collapsed and expanded to show/hide its content.
- Dock side—The dock position of the collapsible side panel.
- Size—The size of the collapsible panel—the panel that corresponds with the dock side setting.
- Overlay— When it's opened, the side panel covers part of the other panel.
- Resizable—The side panel can be resized by dragging the divider.
- Default state—Specify whether the sidebar is expanded or collapsed when end users first open the page.
Collapse button—The collapse button is used to show or hide the side panel. You can remove the button or specify settings to change its appearance. You can choose the button style and its position in the panel (center, top, or bottom). You can also define the button and icon sizes in pixels, as well as horizontal and vertical offset.
Divider—Change the appearance of the divider between the adjacent panels, such as the line style, color, and weight.
Panel properties—Choose a fill color or image for the background of each panel. If you choose an image, you can position it in the panel using Fit, Fill, Center, Tile, or Stretch.