(Added at v2.5)
It is common for analysts to work across various systems that use different coordinate systems to pinpoint places on the Earth. For example, coordinates may be Decimal Degrees (DD) and other systems might require the same location using Military Grid Reference System (MGRS). The Coordinate Conversion widget allows you to input coordinates using one coordinate system and output to different coordinate systems using multiple notation formats.
Configuring the Coordinate Conversion widget
This widget can be set to open automatically when an app starts. To enable this feature, click the Open this widget automatically when the app starts button on the widget, which turns it dark green.
- Hover over the widget and click the Configure this widget button to open the configuration properties dialog box.
- Optionally click the Change widget icon button and replace it with your own image.
A file explorer window appears, allowing you to select a local image file to use as the widget icon.
- The graphic for the location to be converted can be changed by clicking the location symbol preview.
A dialog will give the choice of what symbols can be used.
- Set a desired scale for the zoom button, or accept the default.
- A table in the configuration page gives you the ability to set what type of coordinates are converted. Set what coordinates the widget will use by checking or unchecking the box next to the coordinate format, by default all coordinate types are selected. The following coordinate formats are supported:
- Degree-based formats
- Military Grid Reference System (MGRS)
- United States National Grid (USNG)
- Universal Transverse Mercator (UTM)
- Global Area Reference System (GARS)
- Edit the default display of a format by clicking the small edit icon under the edit format column.
The Edit Default Format window appears. You can add spaces, characters, or change the precision of each coordinate.
Using the Coordinate Conversion widget
- With the Coordinate Conversion widget open click any location on the map. This location is converted to the output formats that were chosen during configuration.
- Optionally, you can add more output formats by clicking the + Add button below to the Input box.
Note:The new coordinate format that is added will be added as DD.
- At any time you can change the notation of a coordinate format by clicking the Format Output button to the right of it.
The Set Coordinate Format String dialog will appear and the coordinate format and notation can be changed.
- You can copy all of the coordinate formats to the clipboard by clicking theCopy All button below the Input box. Optionally, a single format can be copied by selecting the Copy button below the coordinate type. If you wish to view the components of a coordinate click the Expand Output arrow below the coordinate.
The components of the coordinate will be shown. Use the Copy to clipboard button below each component to copy each piece..
- To delete an output coordinate click the Remove Coordinate button below to that coordinate type.